Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pizza with a fork and knife and... Photos!!

     The lifestyle eating out here isn't so much about just ordering, eating, paying and leaving. It has a much more leisurely and social aspect to it I might call it. But they do have the places to grab a quick bite, enjoy it, then continue on with your day. Among many of the Pizzerías I see here near where I am, I stumbled on one called La Rey. This pizza is absolutely delicious! If anyone has heard me talk of Lefty's Pizza in San Diego, the Chicago Style Deep Dish where the pizza makes you stop after the first bite and think "Wow!", well this rivals that. I'm not sure if it is the cheese or the sauce, the meat or the veggies, but it's freaking good! Tis is also where the fork and knife come in. The first time I went there, and I got mslows slices, I was about to pick it up out of habit, then I noticed that no one was doing that! Thank God I noticed it!! Haha,embarrassing! It was crazy though, cuz the other night, me and my friends went out to this same place that I've become obsessed with, and we sat down at about 11, ad didn't leave until past 3am! Just talking and talking, long after we stopped eating. I do have to admit though, there's time where I would just purposely zone out because I felt like my brain was tired of processing. Wen we went back to the hostel though, there were still a lot of people out on the street.
      I've really had no sense of time since I have been here thus far, but there were plenty more people still in the Pizzería doing the exact same thing last night, or this morning. The funny thing about the social life here in the time aspect is for example, the other night, my friends and I went to a restaurant about 9pm and ate and talked for a little while. There weren't very many people on the streets at 830 or 9, but when we were on our way back to the hostel, it seemed like scores of people were going out to the clubs and bars, and it was already 12am, AND THEY WERE JUST STARTING! I've heard about this but wow! Most people at my hostel arent getting home until 5 or 6 in the morning. But even at 3am it doesnt feel that late here.

   ANYWAY, here are some photos which I have been dying to get up, and I finally figured it out! =)  I haven't done the phot thing yet, so this is sort of a trial run, so bear with me and if the structure is all messed up, sorry! haha
Here it is! I knowI I'm a dork with the things I say, so just humor me... But I think it's amazing to see the Flags of other countries when you are IN those countries. You know those unbelievable GIANT ones that look they are waving SO slowly because of how big they are?

This is me across from where that flag is in the previous photo. That is La Casa Rosada, which is the mansion and the executive office of the President of Argentina, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.
Another view of La Casa Rosada.




This 1st of these three is the Banco de la Nación Argentina (I could type it in English, but it sounds weird to me for some reason), the 2nd is one of the many buildings surround Plaza de Mayo which has the Banco and La Casa Rosada and many others. the 3rd is just some street near where I am staying. Unbelievable, huh?

This is a picture of the barrio that I am going to be living in beginning tomorrow night and for the next few months. It's called San Telmo, it's the oldest barrio in Buenos Aires and dates from around the 1700s and nearly all the streets are cobblestone and it is beautiful. Coincidentally, many of the streets in this area are named for countries, and my street intersection will be Estados Unidos and Defensa!

And here are my friends from the Hostel, everybody is so nice and we just have a great time talking and laughing and getting to know the similarities and differences in our cultures between where each of us come from, and yes even my Canadian friend Jilly on the left. So from Jilly on the left, the is Leopoldo from Argentina, Claudia from Perú, Rina from Chile, myself and Renato from Brazil and speaks Portuguese. Again, our common language between all of is Spanish, and I couldn´t ask for more!
   Side note, the other day, these two guys from Brazil came into my hostel room for the night, and we were trying to figure out which two beds were available, and they only spoke Portuguese, and me with Spanish. We had a tough time communicating but after a bunch of laughter (in lieu of frustration), we did it! I figured the Spanish was as close to Portuguese as I could get rather than English. But Renato has been teaching me some Portuguese! haha.

Lastly, here is something different that I am adjusting to! I thought about my brother when I sat down to it. The letters are all in the same place, but almost all of the punctuation marks are moved around and I keep having to stop and look for things. But it's getting easier, like the 2 the " and the @ all sharing the same button, and the ç cutting off the Backspace button. Just suttle differences. Haha

 Well that's all for now I guess. Im super excited that I discovered how to get the photos online. That is a huge relief. Im excited though to finally move into my apartment tomorrow! No more eating out! Im excited for that!

3 comments: