I love Buenos Aires. The city has a lot of character through
its architecture, the people, the food, and everything pertaining to the
culture of being here. Along with all the exciting things, there's also the feat of how to cross a street and not getting hit. So these crazy drivers are essentially allowed to go before the light changes to green. This is actually
pretty easy here because as the stop lights change from red to green,
there is an intermittent yellow light that comes on with the red light,
to let drivers know they are about to be able to go-- so they just go
when it's Red/Yellow! Which is actually ironic because pedestrians have
the right of way here, but to a MORE extreme than they do in the US. Bt crossing the street here isn't too hard: in short, you go when you can. If there's no cars coming, just go. Who cares if the crosswalk is in your favor. And really, no one cares, even
the policia who stand at every other corner. The other night on my way home from my friends, I crossed the street in front of La Casa Rosada (US equivalent to the White House) against the red hand with 6 police officers standing on the corner, and they didn't care. I know it sounds like I should be ticketed, but here, it's just how you do it! (please don't lecture me anyone, there were no cars coming), even then, I know it doesn't make sense. Sounds a little chaotic, huh? Also, the motorcycles just drive over the medians to the other side if the traffic is backed up. Also, don't be surprised if a motorcycle comes up onto the sidewalk to make the right turn, get around traffic,
or just park their bike and get off while you and twenty people are standning there. Haha, somehow in the past week and half of being here, none of it phases me at all anymore. And actually, as bad as it sounds, it's not as bad as some other places I've traveled too.
 |
| There's the motorcycle just chillin on the side |
 |
| It looked weird at first |
I've done some exploring of San Telmo and the area along Puerto Madero,
which is along the Rio De la Plata in Buenos Aires, not far at all from
where I'm living. The Rio (river) looks more like an ocean though when
your standing along it because it's about 50 miles wide across to
Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay (which I do plan on going to sometime
around September, there's a ferry). So in Puerto Madero, there is a
long stretch of boardwalk with restaurants and bridges that connect the
port to the city over a channel. All the bridges open for cargo ships,
some twist to open up, and the more famous and newer Puente de la Mujer
swings open like a door! I have yet to see this, but I hope to, and if I
do, you bet I'll have my camera!
Puerto Madero is such a great place to get out of the city. I love it
because itreminds me of the canyon in Penasquitos, plus a huge river.
The trail
around the entire park is about 5 or 6 miles. I could spend all day
there. There's so many openings out to the River/Ocean and places to sit
that open up as mini parks throughout where people are just hanging
out.
 |
| The sauces were all different! Mustards, mayos, cheeses (Roquefort, Parmesan...) |
|
|
 |
| Dank hamburguesas parillas |
 |
| Random |
 |
| In front of Puerto Madero |
 |
| El Rio de la Plata, looks like an ocean, but Uruguay is about 50 miles across. (Yes Jen, I checked) |
So that's really all for now, I want to get the rest of what I had originally typed to put on here, but the computer at the locutorio was being testy when I was trying to put on the photos, so as soon as I figure all that out, I'll get more on. I figure the pictures make reading this a bit more interesting, but I wanted to put something up. I started my school orientation yesterday! I have lots to say about that and cool pics too. Ill also get some othe pics of things I talked about in this post.
Yaaay! I love out when you post! I
ReplyDeleteI look forward to it! Muah xoxo
Thank you so much! That means a lot to me! Miss you!
Delete