Sunday, July 29, 2012
La escuela comenzará mañana!
School starts tomorrow! I'm excited and a little nervous. First the universities here in Argentina, and apparently everywhere else in the world, except the United States (of course), is in one building that has about 20 stories I think. I know we have schools that are similar, but I the most universities are sprawled over a large area. I guess it'll be nice though not having to walk 20 minutes across campus to get. From one place to another. I was talking to this guy from Italy who happened to go to San Diego State for a semester, about how he was amazed at State for being so big.
Originally I wanted to take 3 classes in Spanish, two that were going to meet a spanish requirement at Long Beach, the third would be one where I would learn about Argentine Society and Culture so that I could learn more about where I am living and visiting more than just from travel books. My fourth class was going to be in English, and was going to about Latin America and the Global Economy, to meet a requirement for my major.
Well as usual, things never go as planned, one of those two Spanish classes threat I needed was canceled and they're not offering it this semester. It was a writing class. So then after emailing advisors back in Long Beach, I decided to take a Spanish intermediate oral communication class. Well as THAT turns out, I tested well on the initial Spanish placement test we took last Monday, so my advisor placed me into the Advanced oral communication class. Wonderful... No pressure on me! I guess only good can come from this class, just a bit nervous. Then the one class that I was going to take in English, I guess I can't get into that class because there is some math requirement that would have had to fulfill, so that's a bummer.
So now, I have all 4 Spanish classes, two of which I didn't plan on taking. The good news though is that my classes don't start until 1 o'clock in the afternoon at the earliest. I'm sure I'll be fine.
Now I know that there are really nice plazas throughout the city,but big wide open space I thought was only nearby where I live in Puerto Madero. But after my orientation session last Monday, I wandered around for a bit and found this park! I guess it's the other concentration of green space and mixture of gardens, the zoo and lots of other things over a huge expanse of land. This area is more like a giant Balboa Park in San Diego, El Dorado Park in Long Beach, or Griffith Park in LA, depending on what anyone is familiar with. They have one of those giant lakes that you can rent those paddle boats in! I'll coerce some unfortunate soul at school to do it with me over the course of the next semester. Hehe.
On Sundays on my street in San Telmo, there is this fair that covers the entire street. It's more of an artesan fair where people sell crafts and clothes and anything that can be made. It's really cool actually, there's just A LOT of people at my doorstep. Is cool being in the middle of it all. This is the view outside my window each Sunday...
This is that bridge I was talking about that swings open like a door when a boat passes through. I hope I get to see it, but the way that river looks, not many ships pass through. This is also my new friend Neekolet from Norway.
I'm excited! I finally found a way to get the pictures directly from my iPad to this blog site! Is a process, but its SUCH a relief that I don't have to go to one of those Internet cafés anymore! Also, I promise I'll try and get more pictures with myself and other people up. I'm sure looking at landscapes over and over gets boring, but it's better than just reading I suppose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










Nice, I am happy you are settled, getting things started & done. Pictures are wonderful. Please just do not forget to come home though.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! It's really cool to see your pictures. I miss you bestie!
ReplyDelete