Thursday, August 30, 2012

Quién necesita las barandas del subte?

Alright, so after class today, I decided to take the subway home which I usually take the bus. It saves me about 20 minutes in all but I figure usually I have noth better to do with my time than to sit on a bus for an hour, plus I've gotten really good at solitaire. Well, I picked an adventurous time to do this. When I got to the subte station, the train going the opposite direction was just sitting there for about ten minutes not moving which there was only one stop left. Knowing I was only one stop in, I figured I'd get a seat which is sort of exciting, but not the end of the world if I have to stand for twenty minutes but you know. Since something was obviously going wrong, more and more people kept piling onto the platform waiting for the train, and when it eventually came, the train was so full that I had no idea how more people were going to fit on it. So we piled on, and there were so many people the door kept opening and closing because not everyone could fit. Each station that we came up on, there was just as many people who needed to get on the train, and let me just say, no one really needed to hold onto those handrails up above because there were SO MANY OF US, that we all sort of just swayed back and forth in one motion. There were so many people that since my hand was up originally to hold the handrail above, I couldn't bring it back down because there wasn't enough room! I'm not joking, I wasn't able to reach down to my pockets even if I wanted to! It was an adventure lets say for 12 stations. I'll never forget that moment! And yes, fire hazard, but down here, that's not really on anyone's minds from what I've noticed. Next, this whole blog thing, yes I always find new ways of getting pictures on here everytime I find some problem with the last solution, and here is the final one. Pictures and words are going to be two separate posts from here on out. It's too complicated to explain why, but that's just how it's going to be. Stories first, then pictures afterwards. :) Things down here in Buenos Aires in the last week and a half have gotten absolutely AMAZING! I have no idea how, what or why, but all of a sudden last week ths changed for me down here and all of a sudden I am having the time of my life! Not that before I wasn't, but to be heat, I feel like I was getting really discouraged with things, namely the language which is a big part of this whole experience and where I chose to come (obviously). At some point last week, I think something clicked and all of a sudden I've been speaking up more places, on the streets and in class. I'm not so afraid to just say whatever to get my message across, and you know what, it's working! For some reason I'm able to speak easier now, and what ever is going on in my brain is happening faster and i notice I'm processing things a lot faster. I can't believe that I've almost been here for two months and I'm really looking forward to everything to come. I feel like nothing really prepares anyone for everything that is experienced when living abroad in another country and all the challenges that are met on a daily basis. Especially of course being away from family, friends, work, food, and everything that makes home, Home. But I guess once you get through the hurdles and everything that has to be met, you realize it's just part of life. You take it as it comes and what you do with what your faced with makes all the difference in whether your able to push on or stay put. And I did NOT come down here to just stay in one place. So all that to say, yes Rosa, I'm starting to learn more than I ever imagined I would coming down here. More than what you can learn through textbooks and also more than just refining and bettering a new language!

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to have this adventure. But it is the beginning of many. Grandma Cleo always said "If it's to be, it's up to me" So just remember that & you can do anything!\\

    Ti Amo mi hijo

    ReplyDelete